Jack and the Beanstalk
Roald Dahl’s Jack and the Beanstalk
Original Score by Georgs Pelécis (45 minutes)
Text by Roald Dahl
Adapted by Donald Sturrock
Performed by Dandi Productions (4 Performers)
Prologue by Judd Palmer
- Victoria Symphony Orchestra
- Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra
- L'orchestre symphonique de Québec (French)
- L’orchestre symphonique de Montréal (French and English)
- Grand Rapids Symphony Orchestra
- Toronto Symphony Orchestra
- Vancouver Island Symphony
- Edmonton Symphony Orchestra
- Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra - 1999 (North American Premiere)
- Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra
- Hong Kong Philharmonic
- Singapore Symphony Orchestra
This concert-story, based on Dahl’s Revolting Rhyme, features a cast of four actors, outrageous puppets and a stunning 60-foot beanstalk, which rises from the stage to the ceiling in a matter of seconds.
There's still a cow, a giant and an ambitious boy with a pocket full of beans, but in Dahl's telling of the tale, getting rich depends on getting past the giant's highly developed sense of smell. With a 45-minute, full-orchestra score, this wildly entertaining concert-story provides for plenty of unexpected twists, and a constant parade of inspired theatrics.
Dandi’s company of clever comedians hits the stage in red long-underwear and high spirits, and in a quick Prologue reminds the Family audience what the original fairy tale would be, if Roald Dahl hadn't twisted it around. Then, with puppets and highly original staging, the company transports its all-ages audience to the vibrant world of Dahl's fascinating imagination.
The Latvian composer Georgs Pelécis wrote the rich, spirited score for Jack and the Beanstalk. The piece had its world debut at Royal Albert Hall, London, in late 1996 and featured Simon Callow, Danny De Vito and Joanna Lumley, as co-narrators.
Created by performers Doug McKeag and Onalea Gilbertson, and featuring the ridiculous puppets of master puppeteer Judd Palmer and the Old Trout Puppet Workshop, Dandi Orchestra Productions has developed a performance style unlike any other in the orchestra world. Each of its 6 concerts for Young Audiences has been designed to entertain kids and adults alike.
The North American Premiere of Roald Dahl's Jack and the Beanstalk was produced by Dandi Productions in concert with the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra.
Promotional Video Clip
View a 4 page sample of the score
Each complete part is bound in its own book.
- 2 Flutes - 2nd Doubling Piccolo
- 2 Oboes
- 2 Clarinets in A
- 2 Bassoons - 2nd Doubling Contrabassoon
- Soprano Sax
- 2 Alto Sax
- 2 Tenor Sax
- Baritone sax (OPTIONAL: Sax parts can be played by other instuments, please enquire: Dandi Productions
- 4 Horns in F
- 2 Trumpets in A
- 3 Trombones
- Percussion: Timp/BD/Cym/Glock/Guiro/SlapStick/Tgl/SD/Vib/WoodBlock/Xyl-Pf-Str
A chamber version is also available:
4 Narrators-2 (II=Picc).1.2.1-188.8.131.52-2
Length:Approx 45 mins
NOTE: Several of the parts are challenging: we recommend careful study of the parts before the first rehearsal, especially percussion.
Educational Component (Optional, But Recommended)
The educational component for this show is currently in development please contact Doug McKeag for more details.
- Phone: (403) 973-0768
- Email: email@example.com
Our version of Roald Dahl's Jack and the Beanstalk incorporates four performers, broad acting and choreography, with much interaction with the audience.
- Onstage, we require approx. 10 feet of playing area downstage of the orchestra, and a clear stage to both wings.
- A 7- 8 foot ladder (two-sided, to be supplied by the orchestra or venue) will be set at Stage Right.
- To the left of this Dandi Productions will provide and position a crank/winch system, to raise the beanstalk, which weighs approx. 10 pounds total.)
- The actors' voices will be amplified, so 3 (yes, three) wireless body mics (Lavs) must be provided by the orchestra or venue, along with a sound operator.
- A simple lighting plan and cue list will be forwarded as necessary, (contact Dandi Productions ) consisting of downstage specials, a general "forest" wash, and a two color wash on the orchestra or upstage wall.
- Lighting and sound operators are required, and a stage manager is required to call cues.
- Everything else is provided by the troupe.
- NOTE: The Dandi technical lisaison will be avaiable on the day before and/or the morning of the performance(s) to help with all technical requirements and questions.
Discounts are available for additional Education shows or for booking additional education shows during the week when booking a family concert.
To book Jack and the Beanstalk and to inquire about the music rental - please contact Dandi Productions Artistic Director Doug McKeag.
- Phone: (403) 234-0768
- Fax:(403) 234-0767
- Email: Doug McKeag